Our Beliefs and Principles
This section is divided into two parts: a generic evangelical statement of faith, and bulleted points specifically addressing the work and ministry of this site.
Statement of Faith
- There is one God: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ the Son of God; we believe in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His victorious and atoning death, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, His constant intercession and in His imminent return.
- In the person and work of the Holy Spirit with His fruits and gifts available in the Church.
- The Bible is the living word of God. It is infallible, authoritative and everlasting and is the foundation of all Christian doctrine.
- In the existence of an evil spiritual being known as the devil.
- In the spiritually lost condition of all people and the essential need for the new birth by faith in Jesus Christ.
- In the baptism of the Holy Spirit as a gift available to believers subsequent to the new birth, with normal evidence of speaking in other tongues.
- In the sacraments of the Lords Supper and baptism by full immersion in water for all believers.
- In the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, the one to everlasting life and the other to everlasting separation from God.
- In the Church being the body of Christ, and each member being an active part of a local church, fulfilling the Great Commission.
- Christian marriage was instituted by God, ratified by Jesus, and is exclusively between a man and a woman. It is a picture of Christ and his Church.
- Sex is a gift from God for procreation and unity, and when practised by believers is only appropriate within and designed for marriage.
The Work and Ministry of This Site
- The key purposes of this blog and page are to promote an interest in ministry which specifically addresses the need for sexual wholeness as an aspirational goal of all Christians.
- God is the Healer and He is able to help all Christians to achieve a personal goal of sexual wholeness and purity in accordance with Biblical standards and purposes.
- We endorse the theology of Christian Egalitarianism which gives women equal placement with men in ministries of the Church and in everyday Christian living, regardless of marital status. This includes that women are able to participate in the leadership of all ministry roles, including but not limited to, evangelism, teaching, pastoring or eldership. “All followers of Jesus Christ are called to any ministry or service without distinction or discrimination on the basis of gender, race or class.” (There may be specific exceptions in certain aspects of pastoral ministry such as personal counselling ministry where there is a preference for counsellor and counsellee to be of the same gender)
We believe that complementarian theology and its subtext “purity culture” is especially and distinctly harmful to Christian women because of
- its denial of basic female sexuality, including its teachings that a godly woman’s key purposes in life are to provide for her husband’s sexual needs and mother her children, and therefore also denies singleness as a valid lifestyle choice for Christian women;
- its extreme affirmation of male biological sexual desire in that it teaches that men essentially have uncontrollable sexual desires that women are responsible for addressing;
- its principle of blaming women for sexually provoking men through inappropriate clothing choices or activities, and its extreme legalistic unbiblical teachings on personal purity for women that deny the message of grace taught by our Lord Jesus Christ;
- its denial of womens’ contribution to the life and faith of believers, including leadership roles in churches.
- We affirm that faithful Christians are spread across the entire political spectrum from left to right and that political partisanship or polarisation constitutes an unnecessary division within the global Church as the body of all believers in Jesus Christ.
- We affirm that only God knows who His true followers are and that denominational partisanship or polarisation constitutes an unnecessary division within the global Church as the body of all believers in Jesus Christ.
Whilst recognising the Biblical institution of marriage as reflected in our statement of faith articles 12 and 13:
- We believe that the Church needs to recognise and endorse singleness as a valid choice within the church for faithful believers and create more ministries that are geared specifically for singles.
- We also believe that the Church needs to recognise and specifically support “reproductive rights” (that is, the right to choose whether to reproduce free of pre-conceived pressures, and the right to equal recognition and choice to participate in reproduction) for women and married couples who do not have children, whether through fertility struggles or personal choice.
- The Church especially needs to endorse and support believers who choose singleness due to struggles with gender dysphoria, same-sex attraction, autism, intersex or other challenges that prevent them from being able to marry in accordance with the Biblical standards of marriage, so that they can live lives that are fully affirming and pleasing to God and participate equally in all ministries of the Church including leadership.
We believe all true followers of God to uphold a Biblically based view of sexuality inasmuch as:
- it respects and protects the sovereignty and humanity of each individual person
- it respects and protects the right to informed consent at all times
- it strives to nullify or reverse sexually objectifying, exploitative or denigrative attitudes and messages that are commonly broadcast in mainstream media
- it seeks to educate members of society as a whole about the rights of individuals to freedom from sexual objectification, exploitation or denigration and the negative impact of sexually objectifying, exploitative or denigratives attitudes and messages.
- it propagates a message of hope and healing for persons (whether followers of God or not) who have suffered from sexual abuse or trauma or exploitation.
- it respects legal rights and protections afforded to any person in relation to any sexual act committed against them.
We believe it is the role of the Church to speak out against negative messages about human sexuality in society, including but not limited to:
- Sexual objectification, aggression or harrassment in society against women by men, or any other form of same;
- The widespread availability of and harm caused by pornographic materials and the wider sex industry;
Sex education for children that includes but is not limited to any of the following:
- promotes unbiblical messages about human sexuality;
- Is based on complementarian theology;
- sexualises early childhood (prior to adolescence);
- sexualises or objectifies men or women.
- We promote and endorse concepts of responsible sexual behaviour by men in society and reject commonly promoted and held excuses justifying sexual harrassment and pressures against women in male-dominated societies.
- We affirm the importance of teaching a balanced view of human sexuality to adolescents and young adults in the Church and in society as a whole, to counter the harm resulting from widespread use of pornography amongst these groups as a form of sex education, and entrenched attitudes to sexuality in society being carried through to future generations.
This list constitutes a subset of our core beliefs and principles. We reserve the right to change these at any time without prior consultation or notice.